This yummy home made pot pie has a few ingredients but is easy to make. If you are good at working with dough, make your own crust.
Chicken Pot Pie
Yield: 1 large or 4 small pot pies
- 2 pie crusts - unbaked (store bought or homemade)
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 3 Tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees, place oven rack in middle position.
2. Place chicken and broth in a stock pot over medium heat. Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer 10 min.
3. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl; reserve the broth in a separate bowl.
4. Place oil in the stock pot, turn heat to medium high.
5. Add the carrots, onion and celery. Cook while stirring until just tender (about 5 min.). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Chop the chicken meat into bite-sized pieces, then place the cooked vegetables into the bowl with the chicken and set aside.
7. Heat the butter in the empty stock pot over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and cook 1 minute.
8. Whisk in the chicken broth, milk and thyme. Bring to a simmer, continuing to simmer until sauce thickens (about 1 min.). Season with salt and pepper, stir in the sherry.
9. Pour the sauce over the chicken-vegetables mixture, stir well. Stir in the peas.
10. Line a 9x13 inch pan with one of the pie crusts. Roll the dough to fit the pan.
11. Pour the chicken mixture into the pan and top with second crust.
12. Bake in preheated oven until pie crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Option: If you can find single serve pie pans, you can use them instead of the one large pie pan. Should make about 4 single serves, according to the size pie pans you have available.